Monday 24 January 2011

It is an abuse of childhood. ... ????

I was checking out what was trending on Twitter earlier on today and came across the name Melanie Philips. I had not heard of her but clicked the link to see what the tweets were about and soon became incensed. She is a writer for (among others) the UK tabloid the Daily Mail (explaining why I had not heard of her) and her latest article "Yes, gays have often been the victims of prejudice. But they now risk becoming the new McCarthyites" is about the 'gay agenda'.

As a lesbian I am looking for all the same rights as anyone else. Not more, not less. Just the same. Because, despite all the things that we can identify to separate ourselves from others, we are actually all the same.

If you want to read the article yourself you can do so here (without bumping up her reader numbers!). After reading it I was compelled to somehow counteract what I had read, and so I signed an online pledge in support of the 'It Gets Better' project. Please do so as well and offer some hope to young LGBTQ people at risk of suicide.

Alot of people think like Melanie Philips, but I like to think most don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment