Friday 15 October 2010

Joel Burns: It Gets Better!


I originally posted this to my personal blog but have been asked to post it here as well. It was originally posted an AIM member on Facebook and it made me cry so hard!

Teenage suicide is an increasing problem everywhere, and especially as a result of bullying, and even more especially as a result of bullying due to sexuality or perceived sexuality. It happened when I was at school and it still happens now. Section 28 (the law preventing 'promotion' of homosexuality in schools, and therefore removing alot of the protection that should be available to students against homophobia) has long been repealed and yet I know for a fact that the situation with this kind of bullying has not improved and in many cases homophobia is indirectly even encouraged by staff. It's disgusting and it has to stop.


I have suffered from this kind of bullying at various stages in my life, and that person could have been me. But it did get better for and I agree with Joel Burns when he says that it will get better for everyone else as well. As we get older we are more able to choose the people we surround ourselves with, and we become more confident in ourselves and our choices. Teenagers are at the most vulnerable stage in their lives and to be subjected to any form of bullying is horrendous, but it is particular hard to be bullied and victimised for something that most teenagers don't even fully understand yet.

I have massive respect for Joel Burns for telling this story, and I sincerely hope it is seen and heard by someone who needs to hear it... anyone with a gun or a rope or a bottle of pills in their hands.

It might not ever get easy, but IT GETS BETTER!

No comments:

Post a Comment